Camp Staff   Early Camp History   Traditions and Stories   William Seymour   

Hahobas History


Camp Hahobas Staff T-Shirt - 1974

Camp Hahobas Staff T-Shirt - 1974

The Hahobas Staff T-Shirt was identical to the camper's T-Shirts of 1974, with the addition of the word 'Staff' below he bear logo.

This same design was in use from the mid 1960's, through the late 1970's.

Share This | Contact Us


Camp Hahobas Staff Uniform - 1974

Camp Hahobas Staff Uniform - 1974

The well dressed Hahobas Staffer of 1974 wore a traditional dark green Explorer's uniform shirt, with green Boy Scout shorts, knee high socks with elastic garters and green tabs.

A yellow Hahobas Staff neckerchief with Hahobas neckerchief slide (Mt.Rainier Council) completed the uniform.

The staff jacket was the traditional red cotton BSA issue model, with the Hahobas Bear silkscreened on the left chest area.

This particular jacket was worn to Philmont in 1971, and was re-purposed as a staff jacket in 1974, when the bear logo was added.

Uniforms courtesy of John Ohlson, Troop 27, Fox Island.

Share This | Contact Us


Camp Hahobas History

Camp Hahobas History

In the 1930's, the Hood Canal camping area was known as Camp Hahobas. Scouts attending Camp Hahobas were transported by the Sea Scout cruiser Occult. The cruiser departed from the Municipal dock for the 125-mile water journey to Camp Hahobas. This voyage required some 10 to 11-hours sailing time. Other Scouts not being able to make the long journey met other Sea Scout ships at Hood Canal and were transported across the canal to the beach camp.

Camp Hahobas had grown to nearly 400 acres by 1939 and by the end of 1940 was 520 acres. All camping was on the beach property, with hikes and daytime activities making use of the upper areas of the reservation.


The year of 1949 marked the, ''On Top'' camping experience. A rough-cut road from the beach extended to the top of the hill. Camping was moved to the present area known as Camp Twana. Gravel and sand were hauled up from the beach to form a beach type appearance on Robbins Lake. Campsites were assigned by number, and the cutting ... Read More

Share This | Contact Us


The Legend of Washkanaba

The Legend of Washkanaba

As related by Kurt Karlinsey, Mt. Rainier Council, September, 1973.

This is the legend of Washkanaba and Drum Beater Lake. All this is happened many years ago, at the time of the coming of the white man. It is true, it is a simple tale. It has changed little in the telling and re-telling, throughout the generations of the People.

In that time, the Lakes were called: Turtle, Pipe, and Drum Beater. They have not been changed by the hand of man, only given new names. Today, you know them as U-Lake, Alder/Aldrich Lake, and Robbins Lake. On a map, you would locate them on the high ground to the east, across the Sound from the little town that bears the name of Captain Hood, after one of the early day explorers.

The People were called simply, the People, and the lake, Drum Beater. This is their story:

Life was good then, they fished the Sound and the lakes. They tilled the soil in the open parks, the crops were bounteous, and game plentiful. In the summer they prepared for the ... Read More

Share This | Contact Us


William Wolcott Seymour (1861-1929)

William Wolcott Seymour (1861-1929)

In 1933, W.W. (William Wolcott) Seymour deeded a parcel of land to the Mount Rainier Council, which was located on the Eastern Shore of Hood Canal. Mr. Seymour was a large land and timber holder and held the position of Past President of the local Scout Council.

He came to Tacoma in 1889 and started the R.V. Barto Company with his brother Edmund. This company dealt with mortgages and bonds. In 1895 he was the President of the Tacoma Gas & Electric Light Company. Seymour's public spirit, cleanly life and high ideals led his friends literally to force him into the mayoral fight and he defeated A.V. Fawcett in the recall fight of 1911.'' (Credit to Tacoma, Its History and its Builders A Half Century of Activity by Herbert Hunt).

Mr. Seymour passed away and in 1934 his wife deeded another parcel of land on Hood Canal to the local Council. She followed this with another parcel in 1935 in memorial to her late husband who spent the greatest part of his life in serving the Scouting Mov ... Read More

Share This | Contact Us


Camp Staff   Early Camp History   Traditions and Stories   William Seymour   
 
Share This:
FB
Home  * About Us * Adventure Series Events * Camp Calendar * Camp Registration 
* Camp Staff * Contact Information * Hahobas Campsites * Hahobas History * Program Information 
* Join Our Email List * Sitemap * Area Map * Campsite Map * Camp Hahobas Map * Email Us!
 
 

Let Us Help You Find some information with
our one-word search:

 

 

     

Camp Hahobas Scout Reservation

Camp Hahobas Scout Reservation
Camp Hahobas (360)372-2701

Home
Contact Us


Like us on Facebook!

Mobile Site

Contact Information |  Privacy Policy  |  Licensing   |  2016 All Rights Reserved 

 

Copyright 2016
Website Design and hosting provided by Dragonwyck Web Design L.L.C.
Dragonwyck Web Design
If you have questions or comments about this website,
please contact the Webmaster

 

 
eXTReMe Tracker